With the construction management (CM) method of delivery Ease are employed by the client as integral part of their delivery team, offering both buildability and commercial advice through the design and preconstruction phase, and managing the successful delivery of the project through the construction phase. We would also fulfil the Principal Contractor role, required by health and safety legislation and put a full time team on site to manage the day to day operations including the health and safety obligations of a building site.
This approach is very transparent, and we should emphasise that this gives the Client greater flexibility in the way their project is delivered: the client has design flexibility for longer, for instance by delaying making decisions on the interior elements of the project until later in the programme whilst still maintaining continuity of works; we can include Client preferred contractors into different packages if required; the Client has the ability to make commercial adjustments throughout the process. The main benefit of this flexibility is our ability to make decisions that are in the best interest of the project as your representative, as opposed to the typical builder contracting route which might seek to maximise profit from unanticipated changes.
We recommend for prospective clients to visit the website, and if possible one of our schemes. We are always more than happy to make arrangements to facilitate this.
From a commercial perspective our procurement route has a number of advantages. Notably the comparable CM procurement option is usually 5% to 10% cheaper than a traditional main contractor/builder route, without sacrificing overall quality or time, and at the same time our clients testify to their experiences being a better one. Having direct trade contracts between the Client and each individual trade contractor/supplier, administered by Ease on the Client’s behalf, often results in greater output and increased performance. Furthermore our procurement route allows Ease to set the commercial culture of the project which will mitigate the possibility of disputes and provide competent advice and negotiation strategy for any changes or variations. Ease will appropriately package the works, ensuring that the interfaces are managed within the available cost plan budget. We will also manage any perceived risk through the process to ensure that the premium is not passed onto the client, as is often the case with traditional building.
Our services in summary encapsulates the management of costs, programme, health & safety, and quality. Here’s an overview…
- Formulate a live market tested cost plan – this is what we believe the cost will be to completion based on the design information available. On appointment, we would agree the Cost Plan and manage it throughout the build, ensuring it is constantly reviewed and updated and reported to you;
- Maintain a live change control document, ensuring there is a clear schedule of all client or design led project changes, and record their associated costs or savings. We have the ability to mitigate any uplift from these changes throughout the process.
- Issue a full and detailed ‘Contract’ procurement and construction programme. This will contain the detail of all construction activities, linked and coordinated with all key milestones from their initial procurement (tendering; selection then appointment) through to handover. This will require constant review and progress reported against this on week by week review with feedback to the client in the form of a weekly report and programme update. It will also highlight key dates for Client decisions (colour choices; finishes etc.);
- Issue a fixed fee schedule for our services based on the agreed contract programme. This will identify our site based project management team to manage the on-going construction management process;
- Provide on-going evaluation of the design, together with feedback from the supply chain, identify efficiencies to deliver potential savings;
- Assist with planning conditions in respect of logistical, ecological and environmental considerations, and subsequent influences on the construction process;
- Formulate enquiries for all key packages of works, issue tenders to appropriate and capable contractors to achieve best market value, review, and advise client via tender comparison of our recommendation, prior to their appointment. A typical build will require us to manage between 15 to 25 packages of works – getting best value from each of these drives costs down;
- Appoint and coordinate specialist contractors with design responsibilities early in the process to ensure sufficient time for approval, fabrication and supply without compromise to the construction delivery dates. These packages would typically be mechanical and electrical systems, windows/doors, timber or steel frame, for example.
- Undertake pre-let meetings with preferred chosen contractors, formulate and issue trade contractor appointments on your behalf, using appropriate JCT Contract forms, and ensure all parties have signed contracts;
- Ease would be the nominated Principle Contractor, and take health and safety responsibility for the site. Our duties would include the following:
- review pre–construction health and safety information as issued by the Principle Designer;
- assist Principal Designer with F10 Notification [this is a legal requirement of notification of the construction work to the HSE];
- develop an appropriate Construction Phase Health and Safety Plan [As required under CDM Regs];
- ensure the site based risks identified in the Construction Phase Health and Safety Plan are managed through the trade contractors;
- ensure the Construction Phase Health and Safety Plan is followed in accordance with health and safety legal requirements;
- provide suitable welfare facilities;
- control access to site;
- provide site inductions;
- Liaise with consultants, Principle Designer, and all trade contractors/suppliers.