- Location: Watergate Bay, Cornwall
- Client: Watergate Bay Hotel and Extreme Academy
- Architect / Interior Designer: ADG
- Value: £3.7m
- Contract period: 9 months
The Village is a cluster of beach-chic properties subtly embedded into the cliff-top overlooking Watergate Bay. Each two-storey house is coolly crafted from sustainably sourced, natural materials, and finished in Watergate Bay’s trademark beach-fresh style with surfboard racks, outdoor showers and ocean-facing decking with panoramic views.
The Ease team had managed external contractors to deliver earlier construction phases at The Village. But our in-house team took on phase 3: to construct and finish interiors for 12 timber-frame units, consisting of 8 x 2 bedroom units and 4 x 4 bedroom units.
Managing Director Will Ashworth said: “We have tried various procurement routes for our projects over the last few years but none have been as successful as working with Ease. We are currently working with Ease on a larger and more complicated project …that says it all.”
The 12 units are finished to a very high specification – and complete a successful series of works at The Village.
We’re proud to deliver a design befitting The Village’s beautiful location
- Built into the bay’s landscape, The Village uses a tiered layout – meaning each two-story unit benefits from the stunning sea views.
- The scheme incorporates the latest energy-efficient construction – including sedum roofing, earth sheltering, exhaust air heat pumping from the bathroom to under-floor heating, whole house ventilation and brise soliel to help heat and cool the buildings.
- Fitted out with high-efficiency insulation and lighting, each property easily exceeds the current Government targets for energy efficiency.
- The viability of the project was almost compromised. So to bring it back in line with the client’s aspirations, we reviewed plans and suggested new technical, sequencing and procurement route proposals. These included a change of the structural solution, re-programming and the adoption of a construction management contract for procurement of the works. The result: a stunning scheme meeting our client’s vision for a sustainable resort.